Sunday, June 6, 2010

One of my heroes


His fingertips met together in front of his lips and then with closed eyes began reciting a poem he learned in his youth. When he opened his eyes they were wet with the memories of his parents and an Indiana childhood. I could barely see the 90-year-old legend through my own tears. We sat there quietly for what seemed like forever as the last slivers of daylight crawled across his den wall. We talked of love, faith and our heroes. Jesus Christ, his father, Joshua Wooden, Abraham Lincoln and Mother Teresa of Calcutta were his, and probably in that order.

And then, like a caring father, he listened as I shared some hard things in my life. His advice was gentle and sound, and I left that night thinking, “I want to be just like this man someday.”

When asked who has been my favorite subject to photograph, my answer is always easy – my hero, John Wooden.

Thank you, Coach, for showing us what love is.

No comments:

Post a Comment