Thursday, May 6, 2010

lovely man and lovely deed



Last winter I was blessed to spend several weeks teaching in Singapore. During the visit I accompanied 39 East photographers Eng Hong and Aloysius Lim as they photographed a dying man and his loving family. Similar in age and both with young families, Jeffrey Aw and I hit it off immediately. Even in his weakened condition, he managed to shoot a few pictures of me with my camera. We laughed and I found myself wishing I had met him earlier. I am confident we would have been friends.

Before we parted, I kneeled on the wet grass and we prayed together. It was one of those beautiful life moments that connect us as human beings.

I just learned that not long after a warm Christmas with his family, Jeffrey left this world. A sadness fills my heart for his young family, especially his children, who will no doubt hunger for their father's wisdom and touch in the years to come. But I am grateful to a loving God for allowing me to meet such a wonderful and loving soul
and his supportive family.

I thankful for Eng Hong and Aloysius Lim, who made time in their busy schedules to meet the family in a park on a rainy day and shoot tender pictures which they put in an album and gave to the family at no charge, a present from 39 East and the Rotary Club's "My Wish" project.

God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment